Monday, August 12, 2013

Places: Coldstone Creamery

Coldstone The Palms, courtesy facebook.com
I remember when coldstone first opened on Saka Tinubu in VI, gosh I was so excited. I'd been to one of the ones in the states and bored my friends endlessly with my tales of how great the ice-cream is and how ridiculous the scoops were etc.......Needless to say I wasn't disappointed, at first, when they opened. They had a wide range of flavours which were all available, service was top notch and fast moving,  cones were crunchy and the cakes fresh, and the ice-cream (chocolate in my case) was divine. Fast forward to the present, about a year down the line, three more branches have been opened in Lagos and as far as i'm concerned the only thing that hasn't changed is the taste of the choc ice cream (which is the only flavor I eat). It's still divine.

courtesy www.omnomlagos.wordpress.com
courtesy www.reviewnaija.com
Now what really pisses me off about coldstone isn't the long queues, the inadequate parking spaces (lekki and saka tinubu branch) or their ineffectual, very poor quality plastic spoons (I always ask for the sample spoons, they are smaller but much better)...... no, it's the singing! Yes I know its a tradition (though I've never heard them singing in the U.S. coldstones, and I've been there several times) and its supposed to show some kind of camaderie between staff and customers or maybe just between the staff, I don't know and don't care, this isn't the barney show. This singing especially ticks me off when there are a throng of customers waiting to be attended to, and the staff is busy singing, especially while serving my ice-cream? isn't there some kind of health policy against this???
Also why do they have so many staff just standing around doing virtually nothing while people are waiting, even more so for the fact that the ice-cream isn't cheap. The branch at "the palms" is especially guilty of this practice, both the incessant singing and crap service.

courtesy of google pictures
I also avoid the cones as I've had them 3 or more times recently and they have been stale and soft, all this at the Lekki branch, so maybe its peculiar to that branch but I havn't bothered trying them elsewhere......
Needless to say i'm a big fan of coldstone (yeah I bet you are thinking, so what if I wasn't, right?), or more like I think their choc ice cream and ice cream cakes are one of the best available in Lagos.  As i'm a sucker for choc ice-cream, its actually almost worth the effort, and, its the most convenient from where I live.
Tip: I came up with this chocolate and sweet cream combo with choc fudge topping. the choc should be slightly more than the sweet cream, with the fudge spread in the middle..........ha! its divine! Unfortunately I keep forgetting to take pictures before I gobble it all up.
Icecream for one person at coldstone with toppings and cone will cost an average of 1,500 naira.


No comments:

Post a Comment