Friday, August 2, 2013

FASHION TRENDS I'M LOVING:- COLOUR BLOCKING

I have to say one the fashion trends i'm so loving is this colour blocking trend. I like the fact that you don't have to wait to get a 'matching bag' with that bright red shoe or follow that old age rule of your shoes and belt must match or your bag and shoe must match etc. I think its fun, appropriate for any age (of course with limits) and opens up the door to endless fashion possibilities.
Having said that though, it must be within limits, so one wouldn't end up looking like some circus entertainer, a misguided mum dressing up her 3 year old or Amanda Brynes on a good day.  I generally try to follow the following guides:
  1. Try to keep it to a minimum: what I do is I usually wear a dress in a single colour like black, blue, purple etc then I colour block with accessories. e.g i'll wear my purple dress then wear a peach belt, green necklace and maybe yellow shoes, now with this many colours, I try to make sure my bag is one of any of these colours i.e. maybe a green, peach or even a purple bag, but definitely not the same colour as my shoes.........the matching bag and shoe combo, in my opinion, is just so.......not cool (for use of a better word)
  2. I don't colour block more than 3 bright colours or  i fear i may end up looking like the circus clown etc i mentioned earlier.
  3. Also i wouldn't advice colour blocking with prints, unless its like monochrome (i.e.black and white, or a consistent colour), and even then the print would be a monochrome dress or maybe an item like a shirt, in which case i'll be wearing a single coloured skirt, then as usually would wear brightly coloured shoes, and maybe a belt or a jacket in a different colour, in any case i will stick to the 3 colours rule.
     
     
  4. personally i have some colours i don't mix, like yellow and red, or orange and yellow, or pink and yellow, or any of these colours with one another.......though I've seen this pulled off quite well, its just not for me.                                      
  
Anyway the thing about it is to try and wear it the way it works for you, but also listen to advice and ask others opinions, also i don't believe colour blocking is just wearing different colours, there's a kind of method to the madness. For example wearing purple, blue and brown will be awful colour blocking, but purple, brown/tan and orange..........

1 comment:

  1. Yep..I'm loving d touches of color and no more 'matchy..matchy'... brings out my inner girl.
    Also agree..one flora/print item = plain colors for other items

    ReplyDelete